Wednesday, September 17, 2008

What do we live on?


Luke 21:1-4
1 As he looked up, Jesus saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. 2 He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. 3 "I tell you the truth," he said, "this poor widow has put in more than all the others. 4 All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on."


What do I live on? I don't mean money or food. But what feeds me within? What do I set my hope, faith and desire on? I know what I want it to be.... My connection with, my love and devotion for God. I desire to continually be in His Presence.

I'll bet that widow had that connection. I don't know why she decided to put those two coins in the treasury. But I want to follow her example. I want to take that thing that I am depending on that isn't God and let it go.

I was reading some of the prayer requests of the teens in our youth group last night and one of them was, 'Please don't let me be motivated by money.' That's pretty intense for a thirteen year old to be thinking. But it goes straight to my heart...'please don't let me be motivated by anything but Love.'

Lord, look into my heart today and make me like that widow, unwilling to live on anything but You.

No comments: