Friday, September 19, 2008

letters from God


I see something of God each hour of the twenty-four, and each moment then,
.. I find letters from God dropt in the street, and every one is sign'd by God's name,
And I leave them where they are, for I know that wheresoe'er I go,
Others will punctually come for ever and ever.


-Walt Whitman

One of my teen friends said, "We can't 'know' God. We can't even know if this chair is really a chair.... my philosophy class is really messing with my head."

Then another friend, a teen guy answered, "Okay, but we can have faith there's a chair and God."

Can we 'know' anything? I love what Walt Whitman has to say. 'I know wheresoe'er I go' there will always be more letters from God, evidence of His existence and love 'for ever and ever.'

I love what Paul said about faith too...

Hebrews 11:1-3
1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.


Letters from God are all around us. No matter what philosophy teachers are teaching, those letters are there, evidence of things not seen. Those notes from God are constant and never-ending, waiting to be opened and known more fully than any chair you've ever sat in, my friend!

I am so thankful for His constant infilling and Presence, divine appointments and songs in my heart. I even know what Whitman meant by leaving some letters in the street. There's just so much! On Star Trek, a telepathic alien meets another telepath and they start communicating. Then one, who is just a little biped like me, says, "Too much, more slowly!"

I get that. Sometimes there's just so very much. Oh yeah, we can 'know' there's a God.

Now as for the chair, I'll leave that for the philosophy teacher to decide.

1 comment:

tmoore4000 said...

intresting post! (its bob! by the way) We were kinda talking about this at bread today, about wisdom and the difference between Human Wisdom, and Godly wisdom. And talking about the different ways God shows him self to us, through healing, miricales, ect.. and in reality those are all examples of the Holy Spirit.

Ps thanks for the food! =)

Love,
Bob