Thursday, September 18, 2008

Adventure

The test of an adventure is that when you're in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something's wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. 'The Matchmaker' (Hello Dolly) by Thornton Wilder

My 96 year old friend and neighbor went on the great adventure yesterday afternoon. My son, Gabriel said, "Well, Mom, now she really knows what it's all about!"

She was one of the people I hoped to bless in Tues. post but ended up getting blessed by! She was out all day Mon. driving around, getting stuff done. Then on Wed. she had a quiet day at home and ended up going all the way Home.

The cool thing about adventure is that you really can have them even sitting quietly at home. Every time you read a challenging author or the most adventurous read of all the Bible(the New International Version is nice), you can be driven to new depths and heights of possibilities. Then there's prayer. You can have a part in an amazing spiritual battle or experience while stretching on your roof deck watching for meteors. Also I don't know if it's the constant supply of homemade cookies or what but I've got tons of teenagers coming through my home everyday. I love it!

Maybe there's 'something wrong' with desiring adventure according to Mr. Wilder...
but I don't think so.

I'll be missing you, Camille.

No comments: