Wednesday, September 24, 2008

No Small Comfort

Feeling low. I love to write but I don't think it touches anyone's heart.

So I turned to my George MacDonald. Flipped through the pages of Sir Gibbie and just started reading. Oh what I found! Donal had just read a poem he had written which is quickly dismissed by most of the listeners. But Gibbie, Gibbie hears it... he can't speak being a mute but he can respond with music which crosses the waters and touches Donal's heart. I love George MacDonald!

From Sir Gibbie by George MacDonald
Hardly had he ended, when Gibbie's pipes began from the opposite side of the water, and, true to time and cadence and feeling, followed with just the one air to suit the song -- from which Donal,to his no small comfort, understood that one at least of his audience had received his lilt. If the poorest nature in the world responds with the tune to the mightiest master's song, he knows, if not another echo should come back, that he has uttered a true cry.

'One' is enough, if not another echo should come back, to know that I have uttered a true cry.

The Feast of Trumpets is just days away. The cry of the shofar, the ram's horn makes my heart leap. Listen for the 'true cries' that are calling to you and respond with music of your own.

No comments: