Thursday, October 2, 2008

Tashlich and Waves


I woke up this morning to the sound of waves, crashing waves. As my surfing family will tell you that doesn't necessarily mean good surf. It could mean that the waves are 'walled' or coming in and breaking in one big curtain of water without any curl. That results in a very short,very white washy ride for the surfer. Not ideal.

But for me some big walled waves this morning are perfect. I also woke up with this verse in my mind...

Psalms 51
3 .....my sin is always before me
.

Like David when he wrote this song, my transgressions sit there in my mind constantly accusing me. I guess this is the ideal attitude to enter into these days before Yom Kippor, the day of Atonement. But I don't want to wait till the day of fasting to deal with this, I need washing now.

I am so thankful for Tashlich. Tashlich means, 'you will send away.' That's exactly what I want. During Tashlich, we take bread crumbs and cast them into the sea. This is to remind us of the verse in Micah that says;
Micah 7:19
You will again have compassion on us; you will tread our sins underfoot and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea.


That's what I want! All this yuckiness within me cast into the depths of the sea and those big walled waves to wash them completely away.

I know the One who has the compassion and the strength to 'send away' and wash away my sin. The One who said, 'Sheket' or 'Quiet, be still' to the waves and they were completely calm. He can do the same for my heart. The One who could 'tread' upon the water as if he were taking a well-worn path. He gave everything to free me from my iniquity.

Like David, I know, 'against You, Lord and You only have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight. And only You can wash me only You can...
Ps. 51: 10 Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. 11 Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. 12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.'

For Your Name's sake, Amen.

1 comment:

tmoore4000 said...

i love going to the beach to look at the waves! haha

i like the thing about casting the sin away!

-Bob