Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Nakedness in relationships

Philippians 2:1-11
1 If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2 then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose.


Doesn't that just make your toes tingle? Yes, Paul, I want to be full of this kind of love you are talking about because I do receive that amazing comfort from His Love but how???

3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.
Got it; ambition, vanity and pride are the enemies. So when Sally snubs me and doesn't want to be my gal-pal any longer instead of thinking of reasons why she sucks, I think, 'What mistakes have I made that caused a snag in our friendship?'

4 Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.
So when I find myself thinking disparaging thoughts about Sally, I could ask myself, "Why do I feel the need to run Sally down? What makes me want to pull her down in order to raise myself up?"
5 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, 7 but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death-- even death on a cross!

So get a new attitude, one like Jesus'. People must have just loved to be friends with Him. Willing to make himself a servant with this amazing, loving attitude towards all. Wow! Let me have that kind of positive, affirming empathy towards the people I'm around today.

9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Okay, I really don't want that kind of result, but maybe just maybe, Sally will want to be my
gal-pal again.

(The name Sally is just a random name that I picked cause it's pretty. Ideas gotten from reading with Gabriel this morning, walking with Karen on the beach mid-morning, and reading 'The Art of Counseling' by Rollo May just a few minutes ago:)
Dr. May says that empathy can transfer either positive loving attitudes or negative competitive ones. So Paul gives us the secret of successful friendship ...think-like Jesus! Filled with honesty, sincerity and love for others, He humbled himself and thought of others' welfare as more important than His own. Whoa!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cindy; Thanks for the really great application of love in scripture to real life. According to Dr. Gary Chapman's "Five Love Languages", my primary 'love language' is words of affirmation, so I love to give and receive positive comments. That leads me to thank you for all the encouraging comments you made to myoss' website and also to John V. - my small group leader.

cindyred60 said...

Merv,
You are awesome! I'll check out that book next. I was a little worried about that post because I really just wrote it for me...so I wouldn't forget that lesson. but somehow I just knew there would be a comment, 'cause God loves me so much and hey, I needed it :)
Your Friend, Cindyred

cindyred60 said...

I got it! Guess I'm a triple crown winner. This is like-super important to know about someone!
Thanks!


MY Detailed Results:
Quality Time: 10
Words of Affirmation: 9
Physical Touch: 8
Acts of Service: 2
Receiving Gifts: 1