Friday, October 10, 2008

assurance for lambs


My friend asked me recently, "How do I know I'm saved? How do I know that I'll be raptured and go to heaven?"
I answered him, "Because it doesn't depend on you. It depends on Jesus and all that He's done."
Well, I think I can do a bit better because I dreamed last night of a teen saying over and over,"it's all your fault." When I asked what she meant by that, she answered, "It's all our fault, we did it, it's all our fault."
I answered her, "you are right, we're guilty but God takes responsibility for us." It was a cool dream..( I left out the stuffed animals and the rocking chair... I've got this little stuffed lamb that sits near a rocking chair. Ask me later:)
Anyways, I realize now that my friend kept asking about scary verses in the Bible that bugged him. So I think I should give him a couple that will give him assurance.

Romans 8:31 What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all--how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?
(Hey friends, He gave His life for us and you think He's not gonna save you???)
33 Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies.
(Not your works, or anything you have done!)
34 Who is he that condemns?
(Paul's gonna tell us here who for sure isn't gonna condemn us..)
Christ Jesus, who died--more than that, who was raised to life--is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us.
(He's for us!)
35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? 36 As it is written: "For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered." 37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. (Once again not because of anything we did but because of what Jesus did for us:) 38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
My friend, it's our fault we were separated but it's totally because of Him that we are united with Him...nothing can separate us from the love of God in Messiah, Jesus.

Read the beginning of Romans 8 too, it's awesome and remember that
Romans 8:15 For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship.

1 comment:

cindyred60 said...

I just read the end of Art of Counseling and guess what? It totally mirrors what I said in my blog today. I love this beautifully connected symphony of living :)