Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Mountain

"Oh, that word is wrong," I thought. My son, Danny has been trying to fix the spelling on the overhead projections of the worship songs. But this one just had the wrong word, I thought.

'Come Thou Fount,' is an old hymn so I opened the hymnal in the pew to check. "Wow, it is 'Mount.'"
Why would the writer be fixed upon a mountain? I'd rather be fixed upon a 'fount,' a fountain like at the beginning of the hymn. I like that; a 'fountain' overflowing on me. But it was a 'mountain.'
Then I remembered a Psalm that had always kind of confused me too.

Ps.121:1
I look to the mountains; where will my help come from?


I like mountains but they desolate lonely places. Maybe that's it! A place alone with God where I can hear Him like Jesus did a lot. But that verse talks about our help coming from the mountain. Maybe it's the Mt. of Olives. Jesus said he would return there. That's it, our ultimate Hope His return! But the words of this hymn spoke to my heart... "mount of His Redeeming Love." Calvary! Golgotha! Our Lord's willingness to give His all for us, His precious sacrifice for us... So that we could have Love beyond all understanding... Love that fills and fulfills... Love beyond our ability to even begin to understand.

Oh I think it's the 'Mount' that brings us to the 'Fount!'

1 comment:

cindyred60 said...

Oh man! i wish i could just sit all day and study mountains in the Bible... everyone has a differnet opinion on which mount it could be and it's so dang fun!
Gabe says...Sinai where Moses got the 10 commandments.
Danny thinks maybe Mt. of Olives.
Eric says for sure the Temple Mt. in Jerusalem...
and what about Zion and Tabot and Hermon. Oh man, I just wanta sit in the mistiness and study.