Monday, March 23, 2009

Aren't you married?

Prov.5:18 May your fountain be blessed, and may you rejoice in the wife of your youth. 19 A loving doe, a graceful deer-- may her breasts satisfy you always, may you ever be captivated by her love.

Captivated? After 25 years of marriage and almost 50 years traveling around our beautiful star? Since I found my breast lump, I've discovered how many people take it for granted that being beautiful and captivating is not required of married people, especially older married people, especially happily married older people.
Even the surgeon today asked a surprised,"Aren't you married?" when I showed concern over how I would look. How big will the scar be? Will I look out of balance?
I don't get it. Why wouldn't I want to look awesome for the man I married no matter how many years ago it was? Not to mention for myself!
Okay so, can I tie this in to a Bible study? No problemos, baby...

Rev.2:4 Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken your first love.
Return to your first Love.
Remember that feeling of falling in love, if you're anywhere from 11 to 111, I'll bet you do!
That's how it felt when we first fell in Love with the Creator of Love, when we first came to know and realize that He loves us and time spent with Him was the highlight of the day.
Have you let that time go for other things, do you prefer the light of your TV to the Light of Life?
Or maybe you've never really understood about God, never really fallen in love with Him.
Well, get this...He sees us as a spouse, as His beloved, as his true love...
Isa 61:10
I delight greatly in the Lord; my soul rejoices in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.

He is captivated with us! and you know what our response is? to be captivating to Him. I think God created marriage as a mirror of His Love for us. Our delight in our spouse and our desire to delight our spouse doesn't end because we've been at it for years! It's a beautiful song, a painting in real life of God's love for us.
So next time someone says to me, "But aren't you married?" I think I'll answer, "Yes, and I want to be captivating for my beloved!"

No comments: