Wednesday, March 4, 2009

everywhere

At the Convalescent home this week, there was a bit of a riff. Irv (not his real name:) is a constant challenge, fun but a challenge. He has both shocked and embarrassed me with his comments in the past but this time was different. He really wanted answers and he was in earnest.

"So where is God then?" he asked.
One resident, Judy spoke up, "He's in heaven."
I added, "Yes, but remember 1Kings 8:27 the heaven of heaven of heavens cannot contain thee.' so I think He's everywhere."

"I've seen life and I've seen death and I've seen battlefields and people shot and people dead and hungry and God isn't anywhere!" said Irv.

That's not the first time I've heard this. I think last time it was from a homeless man.

"You are right. Irv. I haven't seen anything like that and it does seem like God isn't anywhere sometimes. But He is there. He could even remove Himself completely from the scene and then the suffering would end because there really would be nothing without His Presence. He chooses to stay. He is there with those who suffer. I don't know anything about suffering like that but Paul does. He knew whippings and beatings and stoning and the executions of his friends and he knew shipwreck and prison and hunger and loneliness and sickness. Do you know, what he called all these sufferings he saw? He called them 'light afflictions.'
'Light afflictions' compared to the glory that will be revealed to those who love God and trust Him.
2 Cor.4:17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory; 18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Rom.8:18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

Paul saw that our time here is short, temporal and even the sufferings here are not eternal, not forever. So when suffering comes we need to keep our eyes on the Eternal One who is Everywhere especially with those who suffer.

"Is He in Hell?" asked Irv.
"You'd better be careful or you'll find out!" said Judy.

Oh, I love the Convalescent Home!

No comments: