Wednesday, March 11, 2009

freewill




Oh those homeschool girls! They are such unique flowers. We met today and I led the discussion to Hadassah, Queen Esther, in honor of Purim. They knew the story (if you don't, read my other blog.) They swiped down my first question with one flashing scepter.



I asked about Vashti and her refusal to obey her husband, the king.



"Depends on her motive, where her heart was..."



Motives matter.





So I tried something else. "Lots" or "Purim" in Hebrew, Haman cast lots to determine when the slaughter would take place. Proverbs 16:33, “The lot is cast but its every decision is from the Lord.”




and I let them have it... 'do we really have freewill or not?'




and oh those girls! It was beautiful; from 'yes, we have choices..' to 'but God is in control of everything' to an amazing example of how God can see the whole story written out; beginning, middle and end. He can see it all at once, outside of time.




Then she adds that God is the 'paper the story is written on,'...something she got from C.S.Lewis.




They ended the discussion with the 'P. word', paradox.



We can choose but God is sovereign.



Maybe next week I'll ask them about Jesus praying, "Not my will, but thine be done!"




Talk about a paradox :)! I love this!

No comments: